The season for the co-Mother Lode League champion Calaveras High School football team is over.
The team was to play in the second round CIF Sac-Joaquin Section playoff Friday night but were forced to forfeit due to an ineligible player coming in during the closing minutes of its 56-13 win over Western Sierra last Friday.
The coaches said on Facebook the cause was an "unfortunate clerical error." It involved paperwork for a student who transferred from Bret Harte to Calaveras last year.
Will DeBoard, CIF Sac-Joaquin assistant commissioner, said Thursday that administrators at the school reported the situation to his office and section commissioners told the school they must forfeit the upcoming game against Ripon Christian.
"They weren't happy about it," he said. "It was a paperwork thing."
The school reported the infraction Tuesday and commissioners rejected the appeal Wednesday.
In the Facebook post, the coaches said, "First and foremost, we sincerely apologize to the Calaveras senior football players for this tragic mistake. As football coaches we will be able to coach under the lights again, but for those seniors they may never be under the bright lights again."
They called the error a "minor infraction" and CIF ruling the "harshest punishment imaginable."
For more information on this story see the Union Democrat's Friday print edition.