Nine more people were confirmed to be infected with COVID-19 by Calaveras County public health staff Tuesday, bringing the county’s total to 108 confirmed cases and one death related to the virus.
One new coronavirus was reported in Tuolumne County, and one individual’s previous case was reassigned to their county of residence, leaving the county’s total at 131 cases and two deaths related to COVID-19 as of Tuesday afternoon.
In Calaveras, the new cases included a girl and two boys, all under age 17; four women and one man between ages 18 and 49; and one man older than 65.
“We must continue to do our part to ensure that we are on a path to recovery,” Dr. Dean Kelaita, the health officer for Calaveras County, said in a prepared statement. “As we wait for new treatments and a vaccine, there are actions people can do now that we know work.”
Kelaita said actions people can take include wearing a face covering, getting tested, washing their hands often, staying home if they’re sick, and practicing physical distancing.
Of the 108 cases in Calaveras County, 80 have recovered and 27 remain active.
In Tuolumne County, the one individual case reported Tuesday was isolating, county public health staff said. The one new case brought the county’s 14-day case rate to 105.06/100k, or 105 cases per 100,000 population.
That ratio continued to exceed the 100/100k mark, one of the numbers the state Department of Public Health uses to monitor before adding or removing individual counties to a state watchlist.
“When a county is on the watchlist for three consecutive days, they must implement more restrictive closures and mitigation measures as determined by the state, including schools starting the year with distance learning only,” Tuolumne County public health staff said.
The first two deaths in Tuolumne County from COVID-19, men in their 60s and 80s, were announced by the public health department Monday afternoon. Calaveras County reported its first coronavirus death, a man older than 65, a week earlier on July 20.
Tuolumne County is now on its sixth consecutive day of exceeding the number of new cases it can have over 14 days. It must have less than 53 new cases over that period to stay off the list, but was at 55 as of Tuesday.
Public health staff stated the county will not be placed on the list immediately due to a delay in the state’s reporting system, and no action would be taken until the county is officially on the list and has gone through the established process with the state.
Calaveras County had 33 new cases in the two weeks between July 14 and Tuesday. It would be at risk of being placed on the watch list if it gets 45 or more new cases in two weeks.
Contact Guy McCarthy at email@example.com or 770-0405. Follow him on Twitter at @GuyMcCarthy.