A 24-year-old electrician was electrocuted in the early morning hours Tuesday at PetSmart.

Yuriy Zubarev of Citrus Heights was found in a lift after apparently touching an exposed wire as he was working on lighting fixtures.

Sonora Police Chief Turu VanderWiel said when officers arrived shortly after 1 a.m., they saw loose wires hanging over Zubarev’s head. The officers lowered the lift and performed CPR until medical personnel arrived.

Zubarev was pronounced dead at Adventist Health Sonora.

VanderWiel said a witness said wires flared on a co-worker and when Zubarev went to assist he touched an exposed wire. Zubarev was a contracted electrician, VanderWiel said, and Cal-OSHA is investigating the incident as a workplace death, he said.

A representative of Cal-OSHA couldn’t be reached for comment.

 

  

 

Recommended for you