By Carrie Carter

For The Union Democrat

This historic archive photo is one of the most recognizable structures in Big Oak Flat known as the Gamble Block or the Wells Fargo Building. Probably erected between 1849 and 1852, Wells Fargo & Co. was continuously located in the eastern suite from 1850 to 1893.The meat market was established about 1923 in the same suite by Benjamin Weast.

The building is constructed primarily of slate rock and brick and has three paired heavy iron fire doors which served as front entries for three separate businesses.

Besides the Well Fargo & Co. Express Office, a tinsmith, post office, cobbler shop, grocery store, and a saloon have been historic tenants. Also known as the Gamble Block in the 1850s and ‘60s, the building was originally constructed for Alexander Gamble, a successful Gold Rush merchant.

The Cobden Family donated the building to the Southern Tuolumne County Historical Society in 2007 with the goal of preserving it for future generations.

22745745