The trial continues at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday in Department 1 at the Historic Courthouse, 41 Yaney Street, Sonora.

Hours before a triple-fatal collision on J-59 where his mother and his sister died, Dillon Hoffman “remembered that it was just like any other Friday.”

It was Oct. 21, 2016, Trista Hoffman, 16, Annie Johnson, 16, and Dillon Hoffman, 17 ended their school day at Sonora High School and boarded a bus, which stopped near a ranch on J-59, just south of Highway 108.

Dillon and Trista’s mother, Tina Hoffman, 51, was there waiting for them in a 2002 Lexus RX300. Both Dillon and Trista were accruing driving hours with their learner’s permits, and this afternoon, it would be Trista’s turn to drive them home, south along J-59 to their home in the Don Pedro area. It would be the last moments Dillon Hoffman would see his mother and sister alive.

On Friday in Tuolumne County Superior Court, Dillon Hoffman, now 19, looked down while on the witness stand and sighed. Dr. Danny Anderson, who is accused of driving an Acura MDX over double-yellow lines and causing a head-on collision between the 2002 Lexus RX300 and a 2009 Toyota Camry on J-59 near Bonds Flat Road, folded his hands in his lap and looked across the room.

During the first day of testimony, many of the five witnesses struggled to talk about what they saw and the aftermath.

Dillon Hoffman was emphatic in describing the moments before the impact — he saw a “white sportsy vehicle” approaching their car at high speed, going northbound in the southbound lane.

“I kind of thought to myself it was going to be really bad and I braced for it,” he said. “And it was really bad.”

Soon, their vehicle was tumbling across J-59, Dillon Hoffman said. Debris flung around his head, and through his uncontrollable blinking, he watched his mother be thrown out of the passenger side of the vehicle.

“I recall a lot of flipping and it sounded like it would go on forever,” he said.

When the car came to rest down the side of an embankment, his mother, and the passenger side door, was gone.

Dillon never lost consciousness, he said. Bound in place by a tightened seatbelt in the rear passenger seat, he heard his sister gurgle in pain and watched Annie Johnson slip in and out of consciousness.

George Perez, a Merced resident, was commuting southbound on J-59 when he heard a “loud thud” from behind a hill and a bend in the road, which blocked his view of the accident. As he turned the corner, he saw a plume of dust stretching 30 feet into the sky, he said.

There was no cell service, so Perez drove through the accident scene, past a mangled body in the road, to the nearby House Boat Mini Mart.

Perez made the first report of the collision and was connected to a California Highway Patrol dispatch center in Merced.

“There’s a person stuck in the door,” he said on the recorded 911 call, which was broadcast in the courtroom. “I’m not sure if it’s a fatality or not but she is not moving.”

After Perez left in his white 2015 Dodge Ram 1500, Joseph and Shaunna Hoffman, who are unrelated to the victims, arrived in the southbound lane in separate cars. Both are nurses at Avalon Care Center in Sonora, and Joseph Hoffman, remembered turning around the blind curve “seeing that car fly off the road.”

While still dressed in his green scrubs, he immediately began to administer aid.

He checked the vital signs of the woman in the street — there was no pulse and no signs of breathing. She was already dead when he arrived, Joseph Hoffman said.

He told another woman to “drive until she had service” to place a 911 call, and approached a 2009 Toyota Camry part ways off the road. Dorothy Eismann, 66, the driver, had sustained minor injuries but she said her husband was hurt. John Reinholt Eismann, 72, was unconscious, but had a pulse and was breathing. He was pronounced dead later that day.

Joseph Hoffman then heard his wife say a familiar name, one that he also knew through work.

“Dr. Anderson!” she said.

Judge Donald Segerstrom asked Joseph Hoffman if he recognized the defendant in the courtroom as the man he knew from work and the man from the accident scene.

Anderson, who sat stoically for most of the testimony, smiled and waved his left hand toward Joseph Hoffman.

After a brief conference with Anderson at the scene, Joseph Hoffman walked down the embankment to the overturned car, which came to rest on the driver’s side, he said.

He gently shook Trista Hoffman, who had blood pouring from her mouth, he said.

“She never said anything to me. Just unconscious, breathing really labored,” he said.

He could tell Dillon Hoffman was still in shock, but remembered saying “oh, hi,” when they realized they shared the same last name.

Dillon Hoffman was eventually extricated from the vehicle and laid down in the street. Both his legs were broken, which required multiple surgeries and two to three weeks in the hospital.

A firefighter knelt in his line of view and talked him through the pain, he said. He watched a flurry of activity surround his sister, who was also out of the vehicle.

“She went quiet after a little bit and I assumed she died in the street,” he said.

Annie Johnson, who was also freed from the car, sustained brain hemorrhages.

In evidence photos taken by Shaunna Hoffman submitted on Friday, Danny Anderson’s attorney Tom Johnson asked Joseph Hoffman to point out Danny Anderson kneeling by a vehicle at the accident scene.

Shaunna Hoffman said after the “horrific and traumatized” event, she attempted to keep track of news reports about the collision, but found it difficult because she lived out of the county, in Atwater.

In February 2017, she approached Danny Anderson at work and asked if he knew of any updates and he said “he hadn’t heard of anything,” she said.

“He said it can give you a form of PTSD, you can get help for PTSD,” she added.

Anderson and his wife Diane Anderson, who is charged as an accessory but will have a separate trial following the conclusion of her husband’s, were arrested on April 10, 2017. Diane Anderson was present for the trial on Friday but did not attend most of the jury selection.

During opening statements earlier in the morning, Krieg said all of J-59 in Tuolumne County was lined with double yellow lines sectioned with rumble strips, and that Anderson purposefully fled the scene after the accident and attempted to disguise his involvement.

Johnson said the CHP did not do its due diligence to investigate other cars in a procession of vehicles surveilled by a camera at the House Boat Mini Mart, and cited the criminal history of first responding CHP Officer Joelle McChesney as an indicator of the prosecution’s lack of credibility.

McChesney, who was present outside the courtroom on Friday, pleaded no contest to three counts of misdemeanor accessing a computer to alter, destroy or use data for a criminal purpose, following an arrest in Yolo County while she was stationed at the CHP Academy in West Sacramento. McChesney was later employed by the Woodland-area CHP office prior to being hired by the Sonora-area office.

Johnson also questioned witness Keri Pickett, a CHP public safety dispatch supervisor stationed at a communications center in Merced, about the absence of a recorded phone call from Christina Hodge, a woman who said she believed a vehicle struck a pedestrian in the street at the collision site.

Picket said one station at the communication center did not record calls and she provided to the lawyers all the audio recordings and computer-aided dispatch logs she had available.

Alternate jury selection was completed early Friday morning. A 12-person jury, split evenly by gender, was sworn in on June 29. The group of six alternates also has equal numbers of men and women.

Anderson has been charged with three felony counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence with enhancement charges of fleeing the scene, one count of hit-and-run resulting in death or serious injury of six people, one count of reckless driving causing specific injury or death for the three fatalities, and misdemeanors destroying or concealing evidence and obstructing a police investigation.

Contact Giuseppe Ricapito at (209) 588-4526 or Follow him on Twitter @gsepinsonora.