The various schools in Tuolumne County ramped up their lunch programs. Sonora High bus drivers spread out to take lunches out to families on Tuesday.
Christi Hammerbeck, lead transportation coordinator for Sonora High School, took 18 sack lunches for high school students or their parents to pick up. The school had nine buses in different areas of Tuolumne County with sack lunches to pass out and plan on doing it daily through Friday.
At Jamestown Elementary, two school employees handed out packets of homework and brown paper bags with a ham and cheese sandwich, multi grain chips, carrots, a yogurt, milk, a fruit cup and an apple inside. The bags also had breakfast: muffin or cereal, milk and fruit.
“It’s amazing. It’s really helpful and it’s a tough time right now so it’s very encouraging to see that our town comes together like this,” a parent said.
Summerville High will deliver sack meals to any student who wants one. Each sack will have three meals inside and delivery will be made to bus stops
Parents are asked to email the number of children that need meals to firstname.lastname@example.org. People without internet access can call the school office, (209) 928-4228 extension 6232.
Sonora Elementary planned to begin breakfast and lunch packages Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the school. Parents should call 532-3159, ext. 4111.
• Belleview Elementary: Breakfast and lunches available for pick up at the school from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. starting Wednesday. For more information, call (209) 586-5510 ext. 6325.
• Tenaya Elementary and Don Pedro High School: A week’s worth of meals will be provided for each student in the household beginning Wednesday. For more information, call Tenaya Elementary at (209) 962-7846.
• Columbia Union School District: Call the school office at (209) 533-7700 ext. 170 by 10 a.m. for home delivery.
• Curtis Creek Elementary: Meals available for pick-up at the school and delivery starting Wednesday. For more information, call (209) 532-1428.
• Gold Rush Charter School: Families can drive through the Country School Campus between 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Wednesday to get a week’s worth of meals. For more information, call (209) 532-9781.
• Jamestown Elementary: Breakfast and lunches available for pick-up at the school between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. For more information, call (209) 984-5217. Jamestown Family Resource Center is also open for food distribution and through spring break, March 23 to 27. For those unable to pick up during open hours, please contact Mark Dyken at 984-4704 ext. 113 to schedule an appointment.
• Soulsbyville Elementary: The cafeteria will be open from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. this week for students who need a “grab and go” sack lunch. Drive-through service will be in the main parking lot. For more information, call (209) 559-7656.
•Summerville Elementary: Meals are available for pick up at the school from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday through Friday for families who live less than a mile from the school. Meals will be distributed at bus stops for families who live farther than that. For more information, call (209) 928-4291.
•Twain Harte Elementary: Breakfast and lunches are available for pick up at the school between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. starting Wednesday. For more information, call (209) 586-3266.