Tulloch dock ban extended

July 07, 2003 12:00 am

By SCOTT PESZNECKER

The moratorium on new docks at Tulloch Reservoir has been extended until the start of October.

Directors of Tri-Dam Project, the utilities district that manages the reservoir, voted to extend the moratorium at their June meeting.

However, the dock ban could end earlier, should Calaveras County supervisors approve some long-term guidelines for development and recreational use at the reservoir, Tri-Dam General Manager Steve Felte said.

A task force of Calaveras County residents and government officials met twice in June in an attempt to create those guidelines for the reservoir.

Felte said his board figured that the task force's recommendations should be narrowed down and approved by October.

"It's probably consistent with the time frame that will be needed by the task force to get the findings to supervisors," Felte said.

If supervisors approve any long-term guidelines before October, the Tri-Dam board could end the moratorium early, Felte said.

The task force was created in part to end the moratorium on new docks, which was first issued in the spring of last year.

Tri-Dam officials have said they won't lift the moratorium until Calaveras County adopts a plan to guide future development.

Hundreds of Copperopolis houses line the reservoir's shore, and many of these homes have private docks. While approved subdivisions such as Saddle Creek and Copper Cove continue to be built, another called Tuscany Hills has been proposed.

Tri-Dam and Calaveras County Sheriff's Department studies have shown the amount of boat and personal watercraft traffic exceeds the reservoir's safe capacity at times during the summer.

Contact Scott Pesznecker at This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it