Calaveras officials question dock ban

February 28, 2003 12:00 am

By SCOTT PESZNECKER

When the Tri-Dam Project board levied a moratorium on new docks at Tulloch Reservoir in May, board members said they wouldn't lift the ban until Calaveras and Tuolumne county planners sat down to discuss the reservoir's future.

Almost a year later, the moratorium still stands — and Calaveras County officials are asking why.

"We don't believe that the dock moratorium is appropriate," Calaveras County Administrator Tom Mitchell said late last week.

District 5 Supervisor Victoria Erickson, county Planning Director Kim Hansen and Mitchell are writing to the board of Tri-Dam Project — managers of the Copperopolis-area reservoir — asking that new docks be allowed on existing lots.

But Tri-Dam Project General Manager Steve Felte said his board is not convinced.

In April of 2002, Calaveras and Tuolumne county supervisors met with Tri-Dam officials in a study session and there have been no meetings since.

"We need to figure out what's going on here around the lake," Felte said. "It's growing like crazy. If we don't deal with this now, then later we'll be dealing with a bigger problem."

Calaveras County officials are wondering what must be done to end the dock ban.

Hansen has been meeting once a month with the Copperopolis Community Plan Advisory Committee. The committee, appointed by county supervisors, is working on a master plan to guide growth in the area. Regulations on the density of shoreline development at the reservoir will be included.

But this isn't enough, Tri-Dam officials said.

"I'm not sure I understand where we need to go with this," said Calaveras District 3 Supervisor Merita Callaway, pointing out that it could take years before the community plan is complete.

"But if Tri-Dam is going to say they're not going to allow anymore docks, they can do that."