City tries again on Mono bidding

Written by Chris Caskey, The Union Democrat January 28, 2014 10:30 am

The city of Sonora has re-started the bidding process for the multi-million-dollar Mono Way widening project.

City Engineer Gerard Fuccillo said the project is out to bid again, and so far five contractors have shown interest with a few more expected to submit proposals. A contract is expected to be awarded in February after the formal bids are opened, according to Fuccillo.

“I’m hoping to get some better, competitive prices this time,” he said.

Late last year, the city completed the first bidding process for the project, which calls for widening the stretch of Mono Way from Greenley Road to Fir Drive to ease traffic, as well as building a retaining wall, replacing a 36-inch culvert and earthwork. 

The city received three bids, with projected costs ranging from $3.4 million to $4.6 million.

Those totals were significantly higher than the $2.75 million estimate by the city. At the time, some of the more costly parts of the project included a stone-like facade for a retaining wall and a procedure allowing crews to replace the culvert without digging up the road.

 

For the full story see today's Union Democrat.