Fire out on North Washington Street

Union Democrat staff

Emergency crews responded to a fire in a basement this morning at 68 N. Washington St.

The fire was reported about 9:40 a.m. in the basement of the Sonora School of Sewing.

Officials say it was confined to the basement area, and they do not yet know the cause of the fire or the extent of damage.

The fire was extinguished about 10 a.m., according to Sonora Fire Chief Mike Barrows.

A wooden gate in the basement that separated the basement from a drainage grate on the sidewalk of West Dodge Street caught fire.

A cigarette thrown into the drainage grate is the suspected cause.

The only damage appears to be to the wooden gate. No water was used in the basement, as firefighters pulled out the burning wood and the fire stopped.

Southbound traffic was diverted from North Washington Street to Stewart Street.

Both lanes are now open.

11917161
The Union Democrat
This image is copyrighted.

Reach all of Sonora, Calaveras County, Tuolumne, Angels Camp, Twain Harte, & Jamestown with your items to sell.

Ads appear Online and in Print

View Classifieds Place an Ad

Connect with The Union Democrat

Union Democrat Newsstand

Saturday October 1, 2016

Read digital interactive editions of our publications

Read Today's Edition Take A Tour

More Publications by The Union Democrat

View All Publications
Fire threatens Hetch Hetchy infrastructure

09/26/2016

A fire burning in grass and oak woodland near the Moccasin Powerhouse ... more

Marshes Fire grows to 1,000 acres

09/27/2016

Firefighters with dirty faces and bulldozer drivers clad in fire-retardant gear toiled ... more

Hazard tree removal delayed

09/27/2016

Removal of trees destroyed last year by the Butte Fire may not ... more

Tough parking enforcement irks some Sonora merchants

09/29/2016

Downtown Sonora business owners say the city’s parking-enforcement program is too unforgiving ... more