Fire out on North Washington Street

Union Democrat staff

Emergency crews responded to a fire in a basement this morning at 68 N. Washington St.

The fire was reported about 9:40 a.m. in the basement of the Sonora School of Sewing.

Officials say it was confined to the basement area, and they do not yet know the cause of the fire or the extent of damage.

The fire was extinguished about 10 a.m., according to Sonora Fire Chief Mike Barrows.

A wooden gate in the basement that separated the basement from a drainage grate on the sidewalk of West Dodge Street caught fire.

A cigarette thrown into the drainage grate is the suspected cause.

The only damage appears to be to the wooden gate. No water was used in the basement, as firefighters pulled out the burning wood and the fire stopped.

Southbound traffic was diverted from North Washington Street to Stewart Street.

Both lanes are now open.

The Union Democrat
This image is copyrighted.

Reach all of Sonora, Calaveras County, Tuolumne, Angels Camp, Twain Harte, & Jamestown with your items to sell.

Ads appear Online and in Print

View Classifieds Place an Ad

Connect with The Union Democrat

Union Democrat Newsstand

Friday October 21, 2016

Read digital interactive editions of our publications

Read Today's Edition Take A Tour

More Publications by The Union Democrat

View All Publications
Sheriff details investigation of Marshall murder-suicide


Philip Marshall acted alone in killing his two teenage children, a pet ... more

Donnell Vista: Majestic and mystifying


Donnell Vista Point on Highway 108 is a remote and mystifying lookout ... more

Columbia Elementary board ousts superintendent


Five days after receiving a 2 percent raise, Columbia Union School District ... more

County wants changes on wildfire risk assessment


Tuolumne County officials are preparing to fight in Sacramento for local residents ... more

Realms of Darkness won’t haunt this year


The popular 4-H-produced haunted house “Realms of Darkness” in Sonora will not ... more