‘Special weather statement’ predicts rain

By Alex MacLean / The Union Democrat

Cloudy skies, rain and cooler temperatures are expected to dominate the first full week of spring in the foothills, following a stretch of dry weather that worsened drought conditions in the Sierra Nevada and Coastal mountains.

The National Weather Service issued a "special weather statement" Sunday afternoon predicting up to 2 inches of rain in the foothills and mountains from Tuesday through Thursday, with a chance of thunderstorms Wednesday.

This comes on the heels of a separate statement issued by the NWS late last week that said a 10-day dry spell had reversed earlier improvements made in February.

"We got 120 percent of normal precipitation in February, including the Sonora region," NWS meteorologist George Cline said. "That helped make the situation not quite as dire as before February, but things have trailed off."

After February, the Sierra and Coastal mountain regions went from "extreme" to "severe" drought conditions. But the updated U.S. Drought Monitor reverted the conditions back to "extreme" last week.

This week's forecast calls for a 30 percent chance of rain Tuesday afternoon, increasing to 70 percent by Wednesday. A slight chance of showers will remain in the area Thursday to Sunday.

Light winds from the south are also in the forecast through Tuesday evening.

For the complete story, see the March 24, 2014, edition of The Union Democrat.

11916007
The Union Democrat
This image is copyrighted.

Reach all of Sonora, Calaveras County, Tuolumne, Angels Camp, Twain Harte, & Jamestown with your items to sell.

Ads appear Online and in Print

View Classifieds Place an Ad

Connect with The Union Democrat

Union Democrat Newsstand

Friday May 27, 2016

Read digital interactive editions of our publications

Read Today's Edition Take A Tour

More Publications by The Union Democrat

View All Publications
Homelessness, high school and the Butte Fire

05/20/2016

Cole Baisch arrived at Calaveras High School around lunchtime as the sky ... more

Avalon Care Center fined for patient death

05/24/2016

Avalon Care Center in Sonora has been fined $80,000 by the California ... more

Deputies visit schools, build community ties

05/24/2016

You would think Tuolumne County Sheriff’s Deputy Nate Yorston was Santa Claus ... more

UPDATE: Probe begins in Don Pedro fire

05/25/2016

Investigators began sifting through the rubble of the Don Pedro Recreation Agency ... more

High Sierra passes closed again

05/20/2016

Days after authorities opened Ebbetts Pass, Sonora Pass and Tioga Pass for ... more