Wiring blamed for Confidence Inn fire

Austen Thibault, The Union Democrat /

The cause of a fire that damaged the Confidence Inn on Sept. 30 was determined to be electrical wiring in the attic, the owner said.

Patricia Clement, of Confidence, said she was called Thursday afternoon by a representative from the Koenig and Associates insurance agency and was told the cause had been jointly determined by insurance investigators and local fire investigators to be accidental.

An insurance company spokesman confirmed the call, but would not divulge what information was given, citing client privacy.

Tuolumne County Fire Department investigators could not be reached for comment.

The fire was reported about 5:30 a.m. by a passing motorist. It was contained about an hour later by firefighters, who stopped the fire from spreading to other parts of the building and to the adjacent closed restaurant.

Damages were originally estimated at $200,000, then increased to $250,000, but Clement thinks losses are probably closer to $300,000.

Looting has also been a concern, she said.

She has called Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office twice since the fire, when she saw people looking inside the bar.

"Everyone wanted a souvenir," she said, but she doesn't specifically know if anything was taken. The historic building opened in 1926.

After the fire, Clement said "of course" she would look into restoring the building, because "it was my life for 20 years," but she is not sure if it will be possible with today's costs.

11908115
The Union Democrat
This image is copyrighted.

Reach all of Sonora, Calaveras County, Tuolumne, Angels Camp, Twain Harte, & Jamestown with your items to sell.

Ads appear Online and in Print

View Classifieds Place an Ad

Connect with The Union Democrat

Union Democrat Newsstand

Monday May 30, 2016

Read digital interactive editions of our publications

Read Today's Edition Take A Tour

More Publications by The Union Democrat

View All Publications
Sheriff’s deputies respond to alarm at Sonora KFC

05/26/2016

Tuolumne County sheriff’s deputies responded with guns drawn to a holdup alarm ... more

UPDATE: Probe begins in Don Pedro fire

05/25/2016

Investigators began sifting through the rubble of the Don Pedro Recreation Agency ... more

Tense board meeting ends in resignation

05/26/2016

After months of turmoil between the Mother Lode Fair Board of Directors ... more

Avalon Care Center fined for patient death

05/24/2016

Avalon Care Center in Sonora has been fined $80,000 by the California ... more

Homelessness, high school and the Butte Fire

05/20/2016

Cole Baisch arrived at Calaveras High School around lunchtime as the sky ... more