Most public swimming pools in Tuolumne and Calaveras counties are opening today and Monday for the summer.
Pools in Sonora, Twain Harte and Tuolumne will open today and keep normal summer hours.
The Bret Harte Aquatic Center in Angels Camp will begin summer hours on Monday.
Calaveras High School's pool opens for public swimming on Thursday.
According to the Tuolumne County Recreation Department, the public pool at Columbia will remain closed until the county can hire more summer lifeguards. The county is aiming to open the pool by July, after new lifeguards can be trained, said Eric Aitken, who manages Tuolumne County's aquatic program.
The Columbia pool needs eight or nine lifeguards. They are typically high school students working over summer vacation. In order to work as a summer lifeguard in Tuolumne County, one must be at least 15 years old and must have passed the county's certification class.
The public pools offer fitness classes, swim lessons, lap swimming and more.
In Tuolumne County, admission is $2 for children, $2.25 for teens 14 and over and $2.75 for adults. Family passes and ticket books are available for discounted prices.
At Bret Harte, admission to the public pool is $2 for children and seniors, and $3 for adults. There are discounts for bulk purchases.
The public pools are among the most popular summer recreation programs in the Mother Lode, with 56,000 visits to the Tuolumne County pool and pool-related programs over the season.
Bret Harte High's aquatic center is opening for its third summer.
Lauren Gerber, who runs the center, said swim lessons and other structured programs are being offered.
Pool hours in the Mother Lode
Tuolumne County public pools located in Sonora, Twain Harte and Tuolumne will open for summer public swim today. The Columbia pool remains closed until further notice. For more information, go to www.tcRecreation.gov or phone 533-5633.
• Sonora pool, at 100 School St., is open Sunday through Friday through Aug. 11. Public swimming is from 1 to 5 p.m. Phone: 532-0441.
• Twain Harte pool, 23075 Fuller Road, is open Monday through Saturday through Aug. 3. Public swimming is from 1 to 5 p.m. Phone: 586-1842.
• Tuolumne Pool, 18640 Main St., is open Monday through Saturday through Aug. 10. Public swimming is from 1 to 5 p.m. Phone: 928-3932.
• Columbia pool, 22540 Parrotts Ferry Road, remains closed until further notice. Phone: 532-3656.
• Bret Harte Aquatic Center, 387 Murphys Grade Road, opens Monday for the summer season. The pool is open seven days a week through Sept. 28. Public swimming is from 1 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1 to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. The pool also features lap swimming, family nights, water aerobics and water zumba. Phone: 736-8321.
• Calaveras High School swimming pool, 350 High School street, will open for public swimming Thursday. Costs vary by age. Season and family passes available. Swimming lessons and aerobics classes are also offered. Phone: 754-2335.