Man says neighbor a hero

Union Democrat staff

A Columbia-area man says his neighbor is a "hero" for waking him when his home caught fire on Friday.

The fire happened on the 22400 block of Gunsight Road, near Quail Mine Road. It was reported about 8:22 a.m., said Cal Fire spokeswoman Lisa Williams.

It started in the flue and spread to the attic, said Cal Fire Capt. Darrin McKinney.

"My neighbor from a few doors down woke me up in my bed saying, 'your house is on fire,'" said Rick VanWinkle, adding that he has no sense of smell so would have continued sleeping.

"I laughed at him. I thought it was a joke, but it was no joke."

Adam Jimenez, the neighbor who woke VanWinkle, was visiting his friend's housewhen the fire broke out.

He said he heard a noise, thought it was a door opening, and looked outside to see smoke.

"I went around to the side of the house and saw flames and woke Rick up," he said.

VanWinkle called his friend "the hero of the day."

In addition to Cal Fire, units from Tuolumne County Fire, Columbia and Columbia College Fire departments responded.

11897072
The Union Democrat
This image is copyrighted.

Reach all of Sonora, Calaveras County, Tuolumne, Angels Camp, Twain Harte, & Jamestown with your items to sell.

Ads appear Online and in Print

View Classifieds Place an Ad

Connect with The Union Democrat

Union Democrat Newsstand

Friday December 2, 2016

Read digital interactive editions of our publications

Read Today's Edition Take A Tour

More Publications by The Union Democrat

View All Publications
Shoppers brave lines for deals on Black Friday

11/25/2016

Hundreds of people crowded into big box stores in Sonora on Black ... more

50th annual AAUW Home Tour set Dec. 3

11/25/2016

Five “gold medal” homes will be open for tours Dec. 3 during ... more

Spiced oatmeal can jumpstart your day

11/28/2016

Want to know what goes together like chocolate and peanut butter or ... more