House, history will be honored



Its barn-red paint and wrap-around white picket fence make the Sugg House one of Sonora's most recognizable buildings.

But while the three-story, seven-bedroom house might draw many looks, it's the history of the pioneer family that lived there for three generations over 125 years that make it a symbol to the community.

"It's certainly one of the most interesting homes in Sonora, and the fact that it was owned by a black family is important," said Carlo De Ferrari, a Tuolumne County historian and personal friend of the last member of the Sugg family to live and die in the house.

The buil-ding was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

The Sugg House history is now commemorated in a monument members of E Clampus Vitus Matuca Chapter will unveil Saturday. Members of the Clampers last weekend built a brick monument that includes an etched plaque telling the story of the house. The owners of the house, Bob and Sherri Brennan, donated some of the materials and the Clampers donated the labor.

Big red house

William and Mary Sugg built the house in 1857 during a tumultuous time in U.S. history. Debate was brewing among abolitionists and slave owners over the practice of slavery in the early days of California's Gold Rush.

William Sugg came to California about 1850 as a slave belonging to a Texan and obtained his freedom in 1854. He met Mary Snelling in Merced, where they both had settled. Mary was the daughter of a slave who traveled to the Golden State with her master.

Sugg and Snelling married in Sonora and bought a portion of the lot on Theall Street, where they lived in a small cabin. They shared the property with a Spanish couple, whose house was destroyed by fire within a year. After the fire, the Suggs bought the entire lot and made plans to build what would become one of the first brick homes in Sonora. The home was simple: a front room, bedroom and a large living room. A wooden kitchen was added on.

Some say the craftsmanship of the core portion of the Sugg House is what makes it so remarkable. Sugg and a few of his friends made a type of adobe brick using a mixture of mud and straw with water from a well on the property. The large bricks formed walls up to 18 inches thick. A layer of regular-sized bricks was added to the outside, then painted red.

The Union Democrat
This image is copyrighted.

Reach all of Sonora, Calaveras County, Tuolumne, Angels Camp, Twain Harte, & Jamestown with your items to sell.

Ads appear Online and in Print

View Classifieds Place an Ad

Connect with The Union Democrat

Union Democrat Newsstand

Friday October 21, 2016

Read digital interactive editions of our publications

Read Today's Edition Take A Tour

More Publications by The Union Democrat

View All Publications
Sheriff details investigation of Marshall murder-suicide


Philip Marshall acted alone in killing his two teenage children, a pet ... more

Donnell Vista: Majestic and mystifying


Donnell Vista Point on Highway 108 is a remote and mystifying lookout ... more

Columbia Elementary board ousts superintendent


Five days after receiving a 2 percent raise, Columbia Union School District ... more

County wants changes on wildfire risk assessment


Tuolumne County officials are preparing to fight in Sacramento for local residents ... more

Paying the price


Chris Lusardi, of Sonora, is one of thousands of Tuolumne County residents ... more