Skeptical of dubious quotations
To the Editor:
I’m always a little skeptical when people use quotes from famous people to support arguments, and Ray Anderson’s letter of Nov. 11 is a good case in point. I ran some of his quotes through Google, and this is what I found:
1) The quote attributed to Washington is somewhat correct, but has been truncated. The actual quote is “Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.”
2) The quote concerning enslaving a nation by debt, attributed to John Adams is a phony. He never said that.
3) The quote by Franklin is almost correct but not quite. What he actually said was, “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
4) The quote also attributed to Franklin concerning “the people voting themselves money” is of dubious provenance, since it does not appear in any of his writings or recorded speeches. De Tocqueville did say something similar, however.
5) The quote attributed to Cicero is actually from a 1965 fictional work on the statesman’s life by Taylor Caldwell, “A Pillar of Iron”. Cicero never said that, it was invented for the book.
Always check your sources, Mr. Anderson.
I’ll leave you with a favorite quote of mine — “Never believe anything you read on a website that has the picture of a famous person next to it.” — Abraham Lincoln.
More excuses for Obama
To the Editor:
The president tells a flat out lie about Obamacare and the liberal media is making excuses for him. He said 29 times “You can keep your insurance and your doctor.” It was a lie, plain and simple. It’s not the first time he has not told the truth.
The blame is all the president’s and no one elses. The truth is not in the this president. Quit blaming this mess on everyone else.
Millions are hurting and it is only going to get worse.
Americans need to wake up to the disaster Obama and the Democrats have caused.
email@example.com We look forward to hearing from you soon!'> SECURITY OFFICERS Have you ever wanted ...