Rain and snow will continue through Friday, with skies clearing in time for the weekend.
A pair of storms earlier this week dumped less than a half-inch of rain in the foothills and also brought fresh snow to the higher elevations.
Dodge Ridge Ski Area reported receiving 24 inches of new snow in the past five days. Bear Valley Ski Area reported receiving 16 inches of new snow over the past seven days.
Still forecast is a 30 percent chance of showers today, increasing to 50 percent tonight. Tomorrow will see a 20 percent chance, day and night. Less than 0.30 inch of rain is predicted for the rest of this storm, according to the National Weather Service.
Since Friday, weather systems have brought a little less than a half-inch of rain to Sonora and Angels Camp. Sonora has added 0.43 inch to bring the season total to 17.92. The average season total for the end of February is 22.59 inches.
Though there has been talk of this winter’s dryness, last year at this date Sonora only had 10.57 inches of rain for the season.
A chance of thunderstorms is no longer predicted, so, with clearing skies and rising temperatures starting Saturday, the weekend may make for a great chance to enjoy the end of winter. Spring begins March 20.
The seven-day forecast shows a return to warmer and drier weather starting Saturday. Temperatures will rise from the low 50s today to the high 50s Saturday, climbing to the high 60s by Wednesday. All days are sunny or mostly sunny Saturday through Wednesday.
The Union Democrat is now online in a Replica E-edition form and publishes Tuesday through Saturday. E-Edition or Print Plus subscribers have full access.
If you are not a current subscriber, subscribe today for immediate access. Circulation: 209-533-3614
Weekly Arts and entertainment guide for Calaveras and Tuolumne counties