• The fire is burning north and south of Highway 120, from the north rim of the Clavey River canyon to points south of Buck Meadows, and from Ferretti Road to Rainbow Pool. It is moving southeast and northeast.
• It has consumed more than 10,170 acres of mostly oaks, pine and brush. It is growing, but an updated number will not be available until later this evening.
• There are 2,500 structures threatened — primarily vacation cabins. Two homes off Packard Canyon Road were destroyed Monday afternoon, in addition to five outbuildings.
• Schools in Big Oak Flat-Groveland Unified School District have been canceled because of smoke.
• An evacuation center has been established at the Tuolumne County Fairgrounds, on Stockton Road in Sonora.
• No cause has been determined.
Source: U.S. Forest Service.
The Union Democrat is now online in a Replica E-edition form and publishes Tuesday through Saturday. E-Edition or Print Plus subscribers have full access.
If you are not a current subscriber, subscribe today for immediate access. Circulation: 209-533-3614
Weekly Arts and entertainment guide for Calaveras and Tuolumne counties