>Sonora / Tuolumne News, Sports, & Weather, Angels Camp, Twain Harte, Jamestown | Union Democrat

News Classifieds Web
web powered by Web Search Powered by Google

Home arrow News arrow Business arrow Cool temps, rains lead to late harvest

Cool temps, rains lead to late harvest

    It’s been a relatively late harvest for grape growers in the Mother Lode, leaving many saying better late than never.
    Vineyards in Calaveras and Tuolumne counties have reported modest yields and average fruit quality after temperatures remained low well into the early months of the growing season and an early fall rainstorm drenched crops across the Northern California region.
    Many grape growers prepared for the worst after the late September storms threatened to cause widespread rot and fruit-killing frost. But an extended period of mild, sunny weather rapidly dried out the more than 3 inches of precipitation that fell across the foothills.
        “We started out six weeks late and we’re still six weeks late,” said Matt Hatcher, owner of Hatcher Winery in Murphys. “Mother nature has given us a chance to get rip, and boy we feel fortunate.”
    Hatcher said the past month has made all the difference to properly ripen grapes, improve overall quality and keep sugar levels within the range favored by most winemakers. He said about 80 percent of his grapes have been harvested, and the remaining 20 percent should be picked by the end of the week. He hopes to crush a total of 100 tons of fruit to produce roughly 72,000 bottles of wine.
    “I can’t stop being thankful for the weather this year,” Hatcher said. “Last year was certainly a difficult year.”
    Paul Verdegaal, a viticulturist with the University of California Cooperative Extension, said this year’s weather had the greatest impact on mid and late season varieties like zinfandel, petite syrah, cabernet sauvignon and merlot. He said overall grape yields in the region are 30 to 40 percent below average.
    Statewide wine grape production is expected to be down 9 percent from 2010, with a projected harvest of 3.3 million tons, according to the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
    Vinescapes owner Mark Skenfield, who manages 18 vineyards around Calaveras County, said he plans to continue harvesting late-ripening varieties for the rest of the week.
    “I think 2011 wine quality will be pretty good,” he said. “The fruit is not as pristine, but that doesn’t mean we’re not going to have good wine.”
    He said cooler temperatures don’t stimulate the production of sugar in the grapes as rapidly as hotter years. Sugar content, pH levels and acidity all play essential roles in the fermentation process, and weather changes can have a profound affect on the outcome of a vintage.
    “In longer growing seasons, the fruit gets the chance to develop other characteristics besides sugar,” he said.
    Vineyards have so far been successful in staving off several invasive pests that damage fruit and carry plant diseases, according to Calaveras County Agriculture Commissioner Mary Mutz.
    She said the county has recently wrapped up a program aimed at tracking the European Grape vine moth. None of the pests, which produce larvae that feed on developing fruit and flowers, were found in any of the 76 traps placed around Calaveras County.

Follow UnionDemocrat.com

Get Today's Top Headlines to your inbox

The Union Democrat print edition

The Union Democrat 11/24/15

View Paper

The Union Democrat is now online in a Replica E-edition form and publishes Tuesday through Saturday. E-Edition or Print Plus subscribers have full access.


If you are not a current subscriber, subscribe today for immediate access. Circulation: 209-533-3614

View all The Union Democrat print publications

Weekender by The Union Democrat

Weekly Arts and entertainment guide for Calaveras and Tuolumne counties

Weekender 11/19/15

View Guide

Available online every Friday or get it early in Thursday's print edition.

View past copies of the weekender

Local / Sports / Business / Stocks / News of Record / State / Nation/World / Obituaries / Submit News
Editorials / Letters
Union Democrat Photos / Community Photos /
Search Classifieds / Jobs / Autos / Homes / Rentals / Place an Ad
Online Extras
Weather / Local Business Links / Community Links / Photo Reprints
Union Democrat
About / Contact / Commercial Printing / Subscriptions / Terms of Use / Site Map

© Copyright 2001 - 2015 Western Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. By Using this site you agree to our Terms of Use